The ECG app in your Apple Watch is an electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG), much like what you’d discover in a physician’s workplace. You need to use it to watch sure elements of your coronary heart well being. Right here’s what you have to know.
What the ECG App Does (and What It Doesn’t Do)
With the ECG app, you’ll be able to test:
- your precise coronary heart charge in the intervening time. The optical sensor your watch makes use of all through the day is extra handy and may monitor your coronary heart charge when you work out, however it can be a bit finicky.
- whether or not you’re at present experiencing a selected well being situation known as atrial fibrillation (AFib), the place your coronary heart beats with an irregular rhythm.
And that’s it.
Warning: The ECG app can’t detect coronary heart assaults. If you experience any of the symptoms of one, don’t open the ECG app: Name your physician instantly. It can also’t detect strokes, hypertension, excessive ldl cholesterol, and even other forms of irregular coronary heart rhythms.
The ECG app is an undeniably cool characteristic. You’ll be able to share the results with doctors, which means that it might be promising for telemedicine. Nevertheless, the app shouldn’t be a substitute for correct medical recommendation. It may be useful for detecting a single specific, intermittent condition, however it isn’t a basic well being check-up.
Which Apple Watch Fashions Have the ECG App?
The Apple Watch Collection 4, Collection 5, and Collection 6 have the ECG app. The Apple Watch SE doesn’t.
How Do I Use the ECG App?
Open the ECG app in your Apple Watch. Relaxation your fingers on a desk or in your legs, contact the Digital Crown along with your finger, and observe the on-screen directions to attend for 30 seconds.
On the finish, you’ll see the outcomes. Potential outcomes embody:
- Sinus rhythm: Your coronary heart is thrashing usually and your coronary heart charge is between 50 and 100 bpm. Nevertheless, for those who really feel unwell, contact your physician anyway.
- Atrial fibrillation (or AFib): That is the well being situation that the ECG is designed to detect. Your coronary heart is thrashing with an irregular rhythm. Contact your physician.
- Low coronary heart charge or excessive coronary heart charge: Your coronary heart charge is quicker than 150 bpm (or 120 bpm with ECG app model 1) or slower than 50 bpm, so extra particular outcomes can’t be given. Contact your physician for those who’re involved.
- Inconclusive: The outcomes can’t be decided. You may see this if in case you have a coronary heart situation that the app can’t detect, for those who use a pacemaker, or (with ECG app model 1) in case your coronary heart charge is between 100 and 120 bpm and also you do not need AFib. Contact your physician for those who’re involved.
- Poor recording: The outcomes can’t be decided. Make it possible for your Apple Watch suits accurately and that your arms are resting on one thing regular, and check out once more.
Why Can’t I Discover the ECG App?
The ECG app shouldn’t be out there all over the place due to differing regulatory approval processes for medical units. For instance, the FDA permitted the ECG app within the U.S. three years in the past, while the Australian equivalent looks set to approve it by early 2021.
You’ll be able to peruse a complete list of territories where the ECG app is available here.
In case you are someplace the place the ECG app is obtainable however nonetheless can’t see it, it’s possible you’ll must set it up.
For those who don’t see that possibility, go to “Browse” > “Coronary heart” > “Electrocardiograms (ECG),” then faucet “Set Up ECG App” and observe the setup directions.