Some Apple Watches have an electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) inbuilt. In case your physician desires you to make use of it—otherwise you need to share the outcomes of it with them—right here’s what to do.
Learn This First
However first, a number of fast notes:
- The writer of this piece shouldn’t be a health care provider. It is a expertise article on a characteristic of the Apple Watch. In case you are involved about your well being, contact your physician.
- The Apple Watch doesn’t detect coronary heart assaults. In case you are experiencing any of the symptoms of a heart attack, search medical consideration instantly.
- The ECG app is not available in all countries as a result of variations in laws round well being care units.
What Apple Watches Have an ECG?
The Apple Watch Sequence 4, Sequence 5, and Sequence 6 have a built-in ECG. The Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Sequence 3, each of that are nonetheless out there on the market as of early 2021, don’t.
How you can Take an ECG with Your Apple Watch
Earlier than utilizing the ECG app, you want to allow it within the Well being app in your iPhone. When you haven’t already executed so, open the “Well being” app and faucet “Set Up ECG app.”
When you don’t see it, go to “Browse” > “Coronary heart” > “Electrocardiograms (ECG),” then faucet “Set Up ECG App,” and observe the setup directions.
In your Apple Watch, open the ECG app. Relaxation your arms on a desk or in your legs, and maintain your finger on the Digital Crown. The ECG will robotically begin.
Wait 30 seconds for the recording to finish. When the timer ends, you’ll see the outcomes of the ECG. These embrace:
- Sinus rhythm: Your coronary heart is thrashing usually between 50 and 100 BPM. Nonetheless, this doesn’t essentially imply that you’re wholesome. When you really feel unwell, contact your physician.
- Atrial fibrillation (or AFib): That is one of the health conditions your Apple Watch can detect. When you get this outcome, it signifies that your coronary heart has an irregular rhythm. Contact your physician.
- Low coronary heart charge or excessive coronary heart charge: Your coronary heart charge is decrease than 50 bpm or larger than 150 bpm (or 120 bpm with ECG app model 1).
- Inconclusive: The outcomes can’t be categorized for some cause. You may get this outcome in case you have a coronary heart situation that the app shouldn’t be designed to detect, in case you have a pacemaker, or (with ECG app model 1) in case your coronary heart charge is between 100 and 120 BPM and also you don’t have AFib. When you’re involved about your coronary heart, contact your physician.
- Poor recording: The outcomes can’t be categorized. Make it possible for your Apple Watch matches correctly and that your arms are resting on one thing, and check out once more.
Faucet “Add Signs” if you wish to add extra particulars about the way you’re feeling. In any other case, faucet “Executed.”
Bear in mind, the ECG app doesn’t detect coronary heart assaults. Don’t use it instead of skilled medical care.
How you can Share Your ECG with Your Physician
To view an ECG and share it along with your physician, open the “Well being” app in your iPhone and go to “Browse” > “Coronary heart” > “Electrocardiograms (ECG).”
You’ll see your three most up-to-date ECG recordings. To view older ones, scroll down and faucet “All Knowledge.” You may as well view them by the completely different outcomes classes.
Faucet the ECG that you just need to share, then faucet “Export a PDF for Your Physician.”
Faucet the share icon within the top-right nook to bring up the Share Sheet.
Relying on how your physician desires you to ship the ECG, you’ll probably want to pick out “Mail” to e mail the file or “Messages” to ship it as an iMessage.