Microsoft Groups does an incredible job of informing you about new messages and different exercise, however it will possibly get a bit overwhelming if you happen to’re in plenty of groups. Right here’s the way to flip off or customise Microsoft Groups notification.
Groups will present notifications about chats, conferences, direct messages, mentions, different individuals’s standing, and even when somebody you understand joins your group. It can do that by including a quantity to the Groups icon on the taskbar, making that very same icon flash, enjoying a noise, and popping up a banner notification within the bottom-left nook of your display. And if you happen to miss any of that, it can ship you a missed exercise e mail.
In case you work someplace that makes use of Microsoft Groups loads, this could grow to be a barrage of alerts that continuously interrupt you with data that you just don’t must know. Getting pulled out of your centered zone by an alert telling you that Geoff from Accounts has simply come on-line is basically not useful or productive. You need to resolve what’s worthy of breaking your focus, not your software program.
Thankfully, you may change all of those settings and make Groups alerts as loud or as quiet as you want, and it’s simple to do. You can even change notifications for particular conversations and chats, or change notifications for particular intervals of time.
How you can Handle Normal Notifications
Open Microsoft Groups in your pc, click on your profile image, then choose “Settings” within the menu.
Within the “Settings” panel, click on “Notifications.”
That is the place you may customise your entire notification settings. Let’s begin on the prime and work our manner down.
On the prime of the Notifications are three choices, all of which may be turned off:
- Missed exercise emails: The frequency of emails despatched to you once you miss a chat message, channel point out, or the rest worthy of an alert. This may be set to “Off” totally if you happen to don’t wish to be bombarded with emails, or at finest “Day by day,” so that you solely get one e mail a day.
- Present message preview: Whether or not or not a “toast” popup (the notifications that pop up within the backside proper of the display) displaying a preview of messages you’ve acquired is displayed. These are distracting at finest, they usually get in the best way once you’re attempting to sort messages in Groups, so flip them off.
- Play sound for notifications: Nothing breaks your focus fairly like a loud “ding” going off in your headphones, and while the Groups notification isn’t the most irritating alert noise, it’s nonetheless annoying. Flip it off right here and get your peace and quiet again.
The following part, “Groups and Channels,” covers messages in the usual “Posts” tab in each channel.
It’s not completely clear what the primary two choices will cowl and what they received’t. For instance, does “Mentions and Replies” warn you to reactions? It’s not apparent. That’s removed from perfect, so as a substitute select “Customized.”
This may open up the person settings that cowl all groups and channels.
The entire dropdowns (besides “Private @mentions”) have three choices:
- Banner and feed: Present the “toast” popup, and likewise mark the channel with an icon
- Solely present in feed: Mark the channel with an icon
- Off: Don’t present the toast popup and don’t mark the channel with an icon. “Private @mentions” doesn’t have this selection, as a result of Groups received’t allow you to flip off alerts totally for mentions.
You could wish to select completely different values for various dropdowns right here. “All New Posts” is off by default and that is smart until you’re monitoring a channel for a cause. However you most likely need at the very least “Solely present in feed” for “Replies to conversations I began.”
When you’ve completed altering the dropdowns, click on “Again To Settings.”
The remaining 4 choices take care of particular areas of Groups.
- Chat: Covers notifications for mentions, replies, and response in chat messages (that’s direct messages between you and another person, not normal messages within the Posts tab of a channel).
- Conferences: Notifications for when a gathering begins, or when somebody posts in a gathering chat.
- Individuals: Arrange notifications to seek out out when particular people grow to be accessible or go offline.
- Different: Select whether or not to get a notification when somebody in your Outlook contacts joins Groups.
Click on the “Edit” button subsequent to every merchandise and select your notification choices.
Whenever you’ve completed enhancing the notifications, shut the “Settings” panel and watch as Groups now not yells at you each few seconds.
How you can Handle Notifications for Particular Channels
After you’ve set your normal notifications, you may set notification guidelines for particular channels if you’d like extra fine-grained management of once you get notified.
Hover over a channel, click on the three-dot icon to the fitting of the identify, after which choose “Channel Notifications.”
You should utilize these settings to alter the notifications for this particular channel with out altering the final notification settings that act because the default for all different channels.
How you can Handle Notifications for Particular Conversations and Chats
There shall be occasions when you might have your notification settings simply the best way you need, however particular conversations or chats hold pinging notifications at you anyway. This usually occurs when somebody pulls you right into a channel or chat to ask a query and you then get notifications about all of the replies and reactions despite the fact that you’re not likely concerned.
Moderately than altering your normal notifications, you may flip off notifications for a selected dialog in a channel, or mute a selected chat.
To show off notifications for a selected dialog in a channel, hover over the primary message within the thread, click on the three-dot icon, and choose “Flip Off Notifications.”
Any more, you’ll solely get a notification about this dialog if somebody mentions you straight. To renew notifications, hover over the primary message within the thread, click on the three-dot icon, and choose “Flip On Notifications.”
To mute a whole chat with somebody, hover over their identify in Chat, click on the three-dot icon, and choose “Mute.”
Any more, you received’t get any notifications from this chat. To renew notifications, hover over their identify in “Chat,” click on the three-dot icon, and choose “Unmute.”
How you can Cease Notifications for a Particular Interval of Time
If you wish to fully cease notifications for some time, you might have a few choices (aside from closing the Microsoft Groups app totally, after all). The primary possibility is to alter your standing to “Do Not Disturb.” This may silence all notifications so that you don’t get any popups or noise notifications till your standing adjustments.
To vary your standing, click on your profile image, choose your present standing, then select the “Do Not Disturb” possibility within the menu.
Microsoft Groups will hold you in Do Not Disturb standing till you alter it to one thing else manually, enter a scheduled assembly, or shut the Groups app.
The opposite possibility for turning off notifications for a time frame is to make use of Focus Help, a built-in Home windows software that hides alerts from any (or all) apps at occasions and conditions you select. We’ve lined Focus Assist in-depth, however right here’s what that you must do to verify it does what you need for Groups.
When you can open Focus Help in a lot of methods, we’re going to go there by way of the “Settings” panel. Press Home windows+i in your keyboard to open up the “Settings” panel, seek for “Focus Help,” then choose “Focus Help Settings” from the dropdown menu.
Scroll all the way down to the “Automated Guidelines” part and activate the choices you wish to allow.
Every possibility permits both “Precedence Solely” or “Alarms Solely,” which may be amended by clicking the choice and altering the “Focus Stage.”
“Alarms” particularly refers to alarms generated by the clock or alert apps. In case you don’t wish to be disturbed in any respect, you may set the choice to “Precedence Solely” and take away all precedence apps.
You possibly can moreover customise “Throughout These Instances” by clicking on it and altering the time choices.
That is helpful if you’d like Focus Help turned on solely at sure occasions of the day—like devoted focus time—or simply weekdays and/or weekends.